Style Guide: Women’s Skirts
Versatile, light-weight and oh so summery, women’s skirts are a spring/summer essential, ideal for both going out or for every day wear during those hot summer days.
Super practical, swapping your tops, adding multiple layers and jewellery gives your outfit a whole new look! The perfect wardrobe addition for the super girlie girl, feminine blouses and women’s work shirts look great with pencil or body-con skirts for the office.
Wear miniskirts and flowy maxis for the weekend and why not try on-trend midi varieties for night? It’s all about picking flattering and stylish shapes perfect for your personal style.
Finding the right skirt style is crucial to showing off your body in the best way possible, maximizing your leg line, making your legs look longer and at their best. Skirts are great for those with killer tall legs, however if you’re on the shorter side, structured skirts are your best friend.
Must-have skirt styles include:
The Pencil Skirt:
Flattering with a sexy touch, the pencil skirt is just what you need to wear to work. A pencil skirt looks gorgeous worn with a chiffon blouse and court heels for sophisticated styling.
When buying a pencil skirt remember:
- Stick to the basics: Black and grey are your best friend. For office wear, these shades will go with literally anything and will leave you with time to have more fun with your top and accessories
- Be careful with the details: While here at AlibiOnline, we absolutely love prints, it’s important to choose prints that work with your body shape. The same goes with the cut and the shape, high-waisted styles are flattering to the small waist but can shorten your torso if paired with the wrong top
- Choose the right length: The best skirt length for most body shapes are hems that hit you at the knee or a little above the knee. Most longer styles can be overpowering, however if you choose to rock the midi length, it’s all about pairing it with high heels to lengthen your look, this is a must for petite body shapes. If you have an apple-shaped body, longer styles are flattering for you, just ensure you choose styles that are fitting around the hips and upper thigh
The Midi Skirt:
- Mid-calf skirts (midis) were an expression of the youth of the 60s who matured away from the minis but didn’t want to sacrifice style. A very popular midi skirt style was the pleated A-line which created a flattering silhouette on many body shapes – skimming past the curves and creating a slim look.
When buying a pencil skirt remember:
- The ideal length of the midi skirt to keep your legs lean-looking is right below the calf
- Add heels for extra height
- Ensure you choose body-con or fitting styles to show off your curves
The Maxi Skirt:
- Channel your inner boho style with the maxi skirt! Whether you choose an uneven hem, flowy evening skirt, bohemian print skirt or a printed circle skirt, there are so many styles to pick!
When buying a women’s maxi skirt remember:
- Keep your ankles and calves looking slim by wearing a long skirt that fall right above the thinnest part of your ankles OR past the thinnest part of your ankles, skimming over your ankle knuckles
- If you’re short and/or want to look taller, pick a long skirt that is slightly fitted around the butt and thighs to streamline your silhouette
- Work on the proportions by wearing a short women’s top or shirt. Tuck it in for a laid-back look. And add something unexpected like a pair of high printed heels
- An A-line skirt is basically a skirt that is fitted at the hips and gradually widens towards the hem – giving a visual impression of a capital letter A.
- The term A-line was popularised by Christian Dior in 1955 and became the skirt trend of the 60’s because of its flattering cut that skimmed over the bum and hips, as well mimicking a thinner waist line.
When buying an A-line skirt remember:
- An A-line skirt looks fabulous when cut right above or right below the knees length to avoid overwhelming your body, especially if you have short legs or are short in general
- It looks chic with a fitted shirt to balance out the wide shape. Show off some shoulder for a feminine and flirty appeal and of course wear heels!
The Mini Skirt:
Who could forget the mini skirt, coined in the 1960’s, the mini women’s skirt is flirty and fun in all the right ways. Looks gorgeous worn with killer strappy heels and printed blouse, the mini skirt will take you from dinner to bar in style.
When buying a mini skirt remember:
- If you’re petite, choose a body-con style to show off your curves
- If you’re curvaceous try loose fitting A-line styles
- Go bold with prints for a summery style
- What skirts do you love to wear? We would love to hear! Share in the comments below.
Make sure you head to ladies clothing online store AlibiOnline to shop all the latest women’s skirts online.