For many of us out there, dressing as a petite sized woman can be hard! There are an endless amount of styles that can overshadow a small frame, making us look smaller than we are or look simply unflattering.
That’s why we’ve rounded up our top tips to help petite women dress the right way and wear clothes that work well with your natural figure!
Get the perfect fit:
The most important rule when dressing for a smaller size is to get the perfect fit! As a general rule, fitted or semi-fitted clothing looks much better than loose-fitting apparel or anything that is too tight.
Rules to follow to achieve the perfect fit:
1. If you love a looser fit on your body, make sure that you define your waist and add some shape with a belt.
2. Opt for clothes that flatter your body type, enhance your assets and give you the illusion of height. Our top picks? Opt for vertical stripes or monochrome outfits.
3. Get a good tailor! If you can’t seem to find clothing that hugs your body the right way, make sure you have a good tailor on hand who can adjust the clothing to fit your body.
Ensure you dress for proportion:
To show off your petite frame the best way possible, it’s vital to wear items that fall along your body nicely. Areas to note include the hem, the waistline and the sleeves of your outfits.
1. Avoid outfits that fall around the mid-calf region as they will make you look smaller than you are! Stick to maxi dresses or skirts or mini length hemlines.
2. Look for skirts or pants that sit higher at your natural waistline, or try tucking in your top and adding a belt to emphasize your waist.
3. Make sure you choose tops that sit on your shoulder and that aren’t too long on your arms. For blazers or fitted jackets, always make sure the seams sit perfectly at the top of your shoulders and that the sleeves hit exactly at your wrists.
4. For coats, pay attention to their length. Opt for an opened button design or a style with either a mid knee or above the knee length or something that sits around the upper thigh.
Make yourself look taller:
If you’re after a bit of extra height there are a few things you can do to make yourself look taller.
1. Wear small prints with bold coloured accessories or separates
2. Accent your waist with a thin belt and match it to your outfit
3. Wear heels!
4. Tops with V-shaped necklines or low scooped necklines aid in creating the illusion of height, as it elongates your neck and gives the illusion of a longer, leaner torso. These are great for wearing on a night out!
Are you petite? Do you have any great tips for dressing for a small frame? Comment and share them with us below.