Style Guide: How To Create Your Personal Style
We hear it a lot, but what does dressing to reflect your personal style really mean?
Some of us know 100% the pieces we love, what type of fashion we are drawn to and stick to it, some of us don’t, so it’s easy to be unclear about the direction you are taking in your fashion life to ensure you look and feel your best always. One of the most rewarding and powerful things is identifying your personal fashion style as a way to express your individuality and feel empowered. Instead of blending in – you want people to know who you are and what you stand for!
It’s about picking those pieces that are totally you, and not being afraid to be yourself show people what you’re about and ultimately think for yourself.
Expressing yourself through clothes, accessories and colors is an important aspect of feeling and looking good. The good-feelings you get from the freedom of putting together your look instantly boosts your self-confidence and makes you ready to tackle whatever comes your way!
Staying true to your fashion persona can:
- Attract people who are similar to you (great for networking!)
- Create admiration from people around you and boost your confidence
- Make you look and feel good
However sometimes we need a little direction to get started on what works best for our personal style.
A few things to think about:
- Your age: We’ve all seen that young girl trying to dress like she’s in her twenties or the other way round. Be realistic about your age, and what works for you.
- Your occupation: You wouldn’t wear jeans and a basic women’s top to work at a law firm, and you wouldn’t wear super-high heels and a short skirt to teach kindergarteners. Use your profession as a foundation of your closet and then add your personal touch with fun accessories!
- Your lifestyle: Fashion should combine form and function while still being practical for your surroundings.
Creating your own personal fashion style is like building your own brand. The clothes you wear should reflect your personality and lifestyle and you want to express yourself in a way that is true about you to attract the people and situations you want, and also create an image of how you want them to perceive you while staying true to you.
Tips on creating your own personal style:
- Look At Your Closet: Have multiple striped women’s tops or endless LBD? Those are the pieces you clearly love and feel best in. Stick to those.
- Play To Your Strengths: Re-define your personal style by accentuating what looks best on you. Have a small waist? Stick to high-waisted styles, or women’s dress with mid-waist seams and belts. Curvy down the bottom? Try A-line dresses or skirts with a structured top. Have killer legs? Don’t be afraid to invest in shorter styles – ensuring that you are still covered up, up top.
- Find Inspiration: Go on Pinterest – seriously. Search fashion and street style and save all the looks that you love most. This is a great starting point of what kind of style you love the most and you can keep that in mind when you next start shopping.
- Know Yourself: Be realistic about your age, occupation, lifestyle and those pieces that you simply live in. Combine all that and you have your own personal style sorted!
We want to hear about your personal style! In 3 words describe it to us in the comments below!
Head over to ladies clothing online store AlibiOnline for all the latest fashion styles!