Get Arty For Valentine’s Day
Whether it’s for you or the kids, have some fun this Valentine’s Day by making some arts and crafts to share with friends, teachers or your loved ones.
From cooking a great selection of beautiful cakes and treats, to personal cards and party-filled decorations unleash your inner child by celebrating this romantic day with AlibiOnline’s favourite love inspired activities.
Pastel Layer Cake
- 3 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans and parchment
- 6 1/2 cups sifted plain flour (not self-rising), plus more for pans and parchment
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 10 large egg whites
- Gel-paste food coloring
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter five 8-inch round cake pans, and line with parchment (you may need to bake in batches). Butter parchment, and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Sift flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a large bowl. Combine milk and vanilla. Beat butter with a mixer on medium speed until very smooth. With machine running, gradually add sugar, and beat until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until just combined; do not overmix.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixer bowl on medium speed until stiff (but not dry) peaks form, about 3 minutes. Gently fold egg-white mixture into batter in 3 additions.
- Divide batter among 5 bowls, and tint each with food coloring to create different pastel shades. Spread each into a prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pans on wire racks.
- Loosen edges of cake with a small metal spatula or paring knife; invert onto racks. Discard parchment. Reinvert cakes, top side up. Let cool completely.
- Trim top of each cake to make surface even. Spread 1 cup buttercream onto top of 1 cake. Top with another cake. Repeat, spreading 1 cup buttercream between each layer. Frost cake with 1 1/2 cups buttercream. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Frost cake with 2 cups buttercream.
Valentine’s Day XO Card
- Coloured or printed card and envelopes
- Pens and pencils (used to write inside)
- Double-sided tape
- Draw X O onto coloured paper of your choice. Cut out around the outsides
- For a 3D effect, fold down the center.
- Position the folded XO pieces onto printed or coloured card paper of choice. Secure with double-sided tape.
- Write a special note for your special person.
Heart-Shaped Fruit Kababs
- Popsicle sticks
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 container large fresh strawberries
- 2” heart cookie cutter
- Rinse & dry the strawberries.
- Slice the strawberries in half vertically. Slice the watermelon in half, and then in 1” thick layers.
- Use the cookie cutter to cut heart shapes from the strawberries and watermelon, and slide on the popsicle sticks.
- Ready to serve!