Fun Fashion Facts You Need To Know Now
Fashion has been around since the beginning of time and there’s no denying that it has changed dramatically. From silhouettes, fabrications, styles and cultural codes, women’s and menswear fashion has transformed to adapt to our current social and cultural trends.
Take a trip down memory lane and learn about how some of today’s key pieces were created with these super fun fashion facts!
- Did you know that an item is considered vintage only if it dates between 1920 and 1960? Anything after this era is called as retro.
- The major international 4 fashion shows takes place in this order – first in New York then London then Milan and then in Paris and are shown across two main seasons, Fall and Spring/Summer.
- False eyelashes were first invented in 1916 when Hollywood producer D.W. Griffith who wanted to enhance one of his actresses eyes for one of his films. These were made out of human hair.
- The word ‘jeans’ comes from the cotton pants worn by “Genes,” the local term for Genoan sailors.
- The first fashion magazine was published in Germany in 1586.
- The earliest known shoes are sandals that date back to approximately 7,000 B.C. However, bone analysis of early humans suggest humans began wearing shoes as early as 40,000 years ago.
- The fashion industry generates an average revenue of $20 billion each year.
- Sneakers were first produced in 1800. They had a simple rubber sole design and the name sneaker comes from the fact that their soles are smooth, that they hardly make a sound on the ground. “Keds” was the first company to produce sneakers followed by “Converse” in the year 1917.
- NYC was the first City to organize a Fashion Week in 1943. Fashion publicist Elenor Lamber wanted to give American Fashion Designers a chance to showcase their work and compete against the more established European Elite.
- For a short time, some Christian Louboutin shoes were available with baby blue soles. Intended to provide the “something blue” for brides-to-be, these creations were only available via special order, and were very short-lived. Production was eventually stopped due to trademark issues
- Collect a lot of shoes? Your official name is called a sneakerhead.
- During 15th century, designers used little dolls instead of females as models to showcase their creations to the clients.
- Children dressed identically to adults until the mid-1800s, when the concept of children’s clothing took off.
Do you have any fun fashion facts? We’d love to hear! Let the AlibiOnline team know in the comments below.