Neon is huge for winter 2014, following on from a vibrant hued colour trend that pushed statement shades of red, orange and cobalt into the spotlight.
Now the trend is going even further, introducing a striking colour palette of strong colourways seen in statement neon orange, lime and red – adding a sophisticated touch to the bold trend.
Big on the catwalk for Spring 2014, we saw designers like Christopher Kane and Oscar de la Renta flaunt understated neon tones that has now transitioned down into the winter and spring ranges for brands like WISH and SASS.
Undeniably a tricky trend to pull off, it’s all about adding that one colour pop piece without going over board. Printed panels, bold accessories, nail art or a look at me dresses when mixed with neutrals is fun and oh so stylish.
Chic and energetic, the trend is no longer confined to 80’s dress up parties or dances, instead can be worn seamlessly out to coffee or to a fancy dinner date and even the office.
Incorporating anything from pastel inspired hues to bold brights, brighten up a chilly day with our top tips and tricks on what to do and what not to do when when flaunting the neon trend.
- Team with neutrals: Whites and biege are neon’s best friend. These colours tone down the boldness of the colour, making it seamlessly wearable to a variety of occasions. Wear a white blazer jacket for women over a bold women’s top or team a camel coat with a bright heel.
- Add contrast: Black looks fabulous when worn with neon lime or statement orange. For evening wear a gorgeous neon orange dress and team with black heels and a matching clutch.
- Add a pop of colour: Spice up an all black outfit with a vibrant coloured bag or heel. Or wear a bodycon black dress with a thin neon coloured belt around your waist.
- Play with nail art: Add a little fun to your look by playing with vibrant nail art. We love a bold pink nail combined with pastel hues.
- Team with classics: Avoid taking a trip down memory lane with neon by dressing it up with classic pieces. Wear with a structured blazer, trench coat, tailored pant or feminine blouse.
- Wear with matching neon shades: This is guaranteed to look far too over the top.
- Play with textures: Feathers and beading can be a bit much with these vibrant shades. Stick to classic fabrications for a no fuss sophisticated look.
- Wear it on your face: Hot pink eye shadow doesn’t work, a strong pink lip however does, but keep the rest of your makeup simple.
What’s your top style tips for wearing neon? Are you going to rock this trend? Let us know in the comments below.